Sector Focus Groups give AGR employer members the opportunity to meet with fellow recruiters and share best practice.
The formula is simple: graduate recruiters from the sector meet up four times a year to discuss matters of mutual interest. The agenda always includes a Hot Topics round table item during which members are free to raise whatever issue they want, and increasingly the groups are working collaboratively to achieve a number of goals:
- Share best practice
- Improve their ability to influence
- Increase the impact and effectiveness of their events
- Look for ways to save costs through economies of scale.
There are currently seven focus groups in total:
- Built Environment and Engineering, Energy and Industry (EEI)
- Financial Services (including insurance, investment & retail banking, and accountancy)
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG)
- Information Technology
- Public Sector
- Retail & Trade
The AGR also runs a regional group based in Scotland. This group is cross-sector, with meetings alternating between Glasgow and Edinburgh. The Scotland Group is typically attended by a range of recruiters and universities.
Different groups have adopted different formulas for success, but the ground rules are largely the same: Meetings run quarterly, hosted by members on a rotating basis, and are restricted to recruiting companies. Meetings are chaired either by the host or an AGR officer.
- Supplier members and Universities are invited to attend at the request of the group, usually to present on a specific topic of interest.
- AGR administers the groups, sending out invites and details of the next meeting, as well as relevant questions and enquiries between meetings.
- Topics discussed in the meetings are private to those attending. Simplified minutes are circulated by the AGR to those members unable to attend, but we maintain a strong sense of confidentiality to contain information between those in attendance.
Membership of each group varies from 15 to 30 companies, and meetings are attended by anything up to 35 recruiters and developers.
The sector group you join is determined by the sector in which your business operates, not the type of graduates you recruit. For example, if you are a bank that recruits IT graduates, your access is the finance sector, not the IT focus group. For the regional groups, these are open to any AGR employer members who would like to attend.
Not a member of an AGR Sector or Regional Group? Participation in these groups is restricted to AGR recruiter members. If you are an AGR member and want to join a group, email email@example.com